David DuBois is the President and CEO of the International Association of Exhibitions and Events® (IAEE). As IAEE’s leader, DuBois is responsible for the management of 23 full-time professional staff, producing the annual business operating plan and budget, overseeing the support of all meetings of governance units, leading business development, directing fundraising efforts, advocating for the industry and the organization’s members, providing organizational leadership and giving strategic counsel to the board. Also, he serves as the association’s representative with industry coalitions, partner organizations and strategic alliances.
DuBois began his career with Sheraton Corporation in various sales positions including Regional Director of Sales and the Director of Marketing Programs. He has served as both President and CEO and Senior Vice President at the Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) where he was responsible for all operations and a $7 million budget. As Senior Vice President, he managed the development of 15 new chapters and was responsible for magazine advertising sales and membership recruitment and retention.
DuBois has also served as the Chief Operating Officer at Meeting Professionals International (MPI) from 1996-2000. During this time, he supported programs and services for more than 16,000 members worldwide and served as the Executive Vice President of the MPI Foundation. David has also served as MPI’s Vice President of Sales and Key Account Management and Vice President of Corporate Services.
Most recently, DuBois has served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau where he had oversight and full responsibility of 42 staff, with the responsibility of attracting convention and tourism business with an $8.5 million budget.
DuBois has served as a board member of the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE); Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Texas Society of Association Executives; board member and Chairman of the Dallas-Fort Worth Tourism Council; and board member of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce. He currently serves as Immediate Past Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Convention Industry Council (CIC). He also serves on the Board of Directors for the Meetings Mean Business Coalition and the U.S. Travel Association.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- David DuBois’s journey to becoming the President and CEO of IAEE
- How DuBois’s experience with sales and marketing in the hospitality industry prepared him for the association management
- The best thing about being a CEO
- How DuBois drives openness and trust in his staff
- The process of prioritizing decisions when limited financial resources are available
- David’s exhibition, Expo! Expo!, and what it is all about
- The face-to-face nature of the exhibit and exposition industry and technology’s impact on its future
- DuBois’s women’s leadership program, the challenges they face in the industry, and how they deal with them
- The biggest industry changes in the last five years, and the biggest challenges moving forward
- Website: www.iaee.com
- Twitter: david_iaee
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-DuBois-3828a2125/